For the missing tooth or teeth, dental implants can be the best choice. A dental implant, otherwise known as a fixture, is a replacement tooth root, consisting of a titanium post, connector post (abutment), and replacement tooth (crown). All these medical-grade components are surgically affixed into the jaw, where the tooth or teeth are missing. Together, these components, dental implants, act as the perfect replacements for missing teeth.
The dental procedure for installing the dental implants is a bit complex, and not everyone is suitable for getting implants. For that reason, it is vitally important that patients go to very experienced dentists for receiving dental implants. In order to get the implants, patients should have healthy gums and healthy bone to hold the implants firmly. Thus, the dentist, the patients go to should be adept enough to use the latest imaging technology to determine the state of the patients’ gums and bone.
Aside from being skilled enough to determine whether the patient is likely enough to receive the implants, the dentist should also be trained and experienced so that they can actually perform the complex surgery. When it comes to the dental implant, the dentist needs to surgically insert a titanium post inside the bone socket of the missing tooth. As the time goes by, at the most 12 weeks, the jawbone heals, and the titanium post securely adheres in the jaw. When the titanium post firmly anchors to the jaw, the dentist will then need to attach an abutment. The abutment helps securely hold the crown.
In the next step, the dentist will take the impressions of the patient’s teeth, and create a 3D model of their bite. Based on the impressions and the bite model, the dentist will get the new tooth or teeth created. Once the new tooth, i.e. the crown, is ready, the dentist will attach it to the abutment.
The entire procedure for the dental implant is, of course, very complex; hence, going to a good dentist is essential. Though complex and lengthy procedure, dental implants are very beneficial for those individuals who are missing a tooth or several teeth. Here are some of the advantages of dental implants:
• Restore a tooth : An implant is a replacement tooth, a false tooth, but it does look, feel and function like a natural tooth! Patients with dental implants will not even feel the difference.
• Durable : In contrast to dental bridges, another treatment for missing tooth, dental implants are exceptionally durable. In fact, with proper care, dental implants may even last a lifetime.
• Improve speech : Dentures, yet another option for missing teeth, can cause individuals to slur or mumble their words. The reason for this is that dentures are not permanently fixed; hence, while speaking, they may move in the mouth, causing the wearer to mumble or slur his or her words. Dental implants, on the other hand, are securely fixed, eliminating any chances of unwanted movement in the mouth that cause words to slur.
• Convenient : An implant is just like a natural tooth. Maintaining it requires no extra care. All that it requires is regular care, like the one an individual does for his or her natural set of teeth. In short, patients having dental implants should brush, floss and have the regular dental check-ups of their implants.
• Restore confidence : Missing tooth or teeth can seriously make an individual self-conscious. Such a condition can make a person stop smiling and even speaking. Dental implants can fill the gaps of the missing tooth or teeth in a natural way, and eventually, can bring back the smile and make a person feel better about himself or herself.
When it comes to dental implants, Tysons Corner residents can rely on skilled and vastly experienced dentists at SmilePerfectors. Dental implants experts in Tysons Corner at SmilePerfectors utilize high-tech imaging technology to create a perfect replacement tooth.
To learn more about SmilePerfectors, visit http://smileperfectors.com/page/implants.